Monday, January 5, 2015

Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Toasted Sesame Dressing 1/5/15

Wassuppp homies.

Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Toasted Sesame Dressing (say that 5 times slow)
Makes 4 main dishes or 6 sides for the kiddos

This was bomb. I not only made homemade dressing for the first time but I also had rice noodles! The fresh mint not only makes your kitchen smell like Colgate's new toothpaste but it leaves your pearly whites looking extra fresh. Super straight forward to make and is a very light but filling meal. My friend Nina came over and indulged with me hence two bowls in the photo below.

Ingredients:

1 package maifun or thin rice noodles (I used maifun)
1/2 head of lettuce, chopped (red leaf, butter, whatevs just something leafy my dudes)
2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
1 cup thinly slice fresh basil
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup salted, roasted peanuts

DRESSING:
Toasted Sesame Dressing
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon citrus juice (orange, lime or lemon. I used lemon due to the lemon tree right outside my house, holla)
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons olive oil

Pour all ingredients into a jar and shake it like a salt shaker. I put it in the fridge and let it cool until the noodles and salad was down but you are free to keep it room temp if you want, do it I dare you.

ONE: Cook the noodles according to the package. When done, drain and run them under cold water until they are cool. Set aside.

TWO: While all this is happening get all your veggies and herbs ready.

THREE: To serve, pile a large mound of noodles in the center of each plate/bowl. Arrange the lettuce, veggies, and herbs around the mound while leaving a good amount of the noodles exposed. Pour that dressing over them noodles and lightly around the veggies and herbs. Sprinkle however many peanuts you want over that delicious slut. Serve with lime wedges if you desire.




Yes, I got a cutesy little pouring device for the dressing. Don't act like you're not impressed.

Song for the Recipe: I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones
I was rocking out to this beat on my way home from the market after work so I thought it was appropriate.

Until next time.

Meg.

No comments:

Post a Comment