Sunday, January 4, 2015

Quinoa Oatmeal 1/4/15

Quinoa Oatmeal
Makes enough for 4

One down and a butt load more to go! I started with a breakfast dish because I wake up in the mornings and am hungry so I make breakfast. Believe it: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The awesome thing about this meal is that it keeps you nice and full hours after consumption so no need for snacks between meals. The quinoa gives it protein because why not have some extra protein in the morning and start your day off on the right foot, or left if that's your thing. Serve the oatmeal with nuts, maple syrup, brown sugar, fresh fruit or whatever other toppings you'd like to add. I did brown sugar, honey, and blackberries (the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice). Super easy and makes plenty of leftovers so when I want to snooze my alarm tomorrow morning I'm already set on bfast.

Ingredients:

4 cups water
1/2 cup quinoa
1 teaspoon olive or coconut olive (I used coconut because I'm super fancy)
1 cup steel cut-oats
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup almond milk

ONE: Heat up the water in a medium sized pan until it is near boiling. Put the quinoa in a strainer and rinse it so it doesn't take bitter.

TWO: In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the oats and stir them around until they smell kinda toasty, takes about 2 minutes. Add the quinoa and hot water and bring all to a boil. This won't take long since the water is already hot as tits.

THREE: Once it is boiling, turn down the heat on the pot and let simmer uncovered. Takes about 25-30 minutes to finish so busy yourself with something because you know what's worse than watching grass grow? Watching oatmeal cook. It should be down now. You want it to be a little chewy, not hard. Add the almond milk and turn off the heat.


Song for the recipe: The Chain by Fleetwood Mac
It was the first song that came on when I shuffled my Spotify Playlist, sue me.

Until next time.

Meg.

No comments:

Post a Comment